BackgroundLaraib Energy Limited (LEL) is a subsidiary of the Hub Power Company Limited (Hubco); as Hubco was the first thermal IPP in Pakistan, LEL is the first hydel IPP and owns the 84MW low head hydropower project financed by a consortium of foreign and local banks. Financial closing has been achieved and project construction has started. The project is being developed under BOOT and will be transferred to Govt. free of cost after the 25 year term.
The project involves construction and operation of an 84MW low head, run-of-the-river hydro electric power generating complex at the New Bong Escape (some 7.5 km downstream of the existing Mangla Dam in Azad Jammu & Kashmir (AJ&K) and some 120 km from Islamabad (the “Project”).
The generating complex will comprise of a powerhouse, headrace, power intake, tailrace, substation, switchyard and a road bridge. The scheme has no storage, new dam or reservoir; there is no other adverse effect on the ecology, hydrology or local environment.
The Project has the distinction of being the first independent hydropower producer (IPP) in Pakistan; construction has commenced recently and completion/commercial operations are expected by September 2012 with first electricity generation commencing in June 2012 following sectional completion of turbines.
Job DescriptionsLEL is looking for an energetic and self motivated individual, at a senior level, to manage and implement its Environmental, Social and Occupational Health and Safety obligations (ESOHS) vis-à-vis project implementation activities. The Manager Environment, Social, Occupational Health and Safety will be based at LEL office in Islamabad with travel to the project site. S/he will be responsible for coordinating with implementing partners, consultants, project donors and stakeholders. The detailed scope of work for the position of Manager is as under:
- Assist the LEL’s Project Manager in fulfilling LEL’s ESOHS responsibilities and keep him/her updated on ESOHS matters relating to the construction.
- Ensure the implementation of EMP (Environmental Management Plan) and Social Issues Management Plan (SIMP).
- Ensure compliance with all relevant environmental laws during project construction and operations.
- Monitor and coordinate with Independent Monitoring Consultants (IMC) in the implementation of ESHOS commitments of LEL.
- Conduct periodic field visits to the project site.
- Review ESOHS reports and ensure implementation of corrective measures, if any.
- Coordinate with government departments, financial institutions and other relevant stakeholder’s vis-à-vis ESOHS issues.
- Ensure Environmental, Health & Safety awareness to LEL employees at all levels.
- Ensure the implementation of Environmental, Health & Safety system according to ISO standard requirements.
- Plan, activities audit and budget for Environmental, Health & Safety system. Regularly perform the audit according to Environmental, Health & Safety aspects.
- Prepare compliance reports for Government Offices, Financiers and other stakeholders according to their requirement.
- Conduct investigation in case of Environmental, Health & Safety accidents and/or incidents occurring at the project site.
- Support and suggest the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for all employees.
- Any other task related to ESOHS assigned by the management.
- The position is suitable for a senior environmental expert with a minimum of 5-7 years of work experience in relevant field (including established track record in policy and procedures formulation at corporate level). It is a requirement that the suitable candidate would have experience on large scale infrastructure development projects involving financing from international lenders.
- Masters Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Environment or Development related fields.
- Ability to organize workshops and conduct training in an interactive and effective manner.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OSHAS 18001, ISO/TS 16949
- Knowledge about the Environmental Impact Assessments and its implementation mechanism.
- Understanding regarding Clean Development Mechanism (CDMs)
- Proactive, high leadership with presentation, effective communication (oral and written) and problem solving skills.
- Good command of English and computer literacy
- Able to work independently and lead a team of multi disciplinary professionals.